The area encompassing the Teako property has a history of exploration that dates to the late 1800’s. Hazelton, approximately 50 kilometres upstream on the Skeena River from the property, was the furthest point that the river was navigable by sternwheeler. As such, this became a staging area for prospectors travelling north to the Omineca gold rush (1869-1873).
In 1884, placer gold was discovered on Lorne Creek, a tributary to the Skeena, about 20 kilometres downstream from the Teako property. Placer gold was later discovered on Fiddler and Kleanza Creeks, and on other local tributaries to the Skeena River. Placer mining operations were active in the area in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s, and particularly on Lorne Creek where on an ancient channel was discovered a short distance north of the modern creek channel. The gold here is coarse gold, of local origin. Small-scale placer mining has also been done on various bars on the Skeena River, downstream of Hazelton.
In terms of bedrock mineral occurrences, Kindle (1937) comments that “The area is noted for the number and variety of its mineral deposits”. A description of some of the more significant deposits and deposit styles is contained in Section 7 of this report.